Saturday, April 6, 2013

F for Filipendulous - #atozchallenge


Filipendulous
Adj. [fi-li-PEN-juh-luhs]
From Latin filum (thread) + pendere (to hang) - Suspended by, or strung upon, a thread; said of tuberous swellings in the middle or at the extremities of slender, threadlike rootlets.

source: google

What a terrific word! And we can all use this daily when we have had enough and just want to express how fed up we are with all the mayhem and shenanigans going out of control.

"Argh," she shouted as she stormed through the room. "I am... FILIPENDULOUS!" *slams door*

You might buy yourself extra time while your audience gapes in wonder, not at your display, but in confusion over what is actually wrong with you.

This is a botany term, however... and the name was given to this lovely creature:

Filipendula rubra source: Google

My 2012 word: Farctate

Today's #fmsphotoaday: AIR


It's a cloudy day here, probably the best time for air pictures!

17 comments:

  1. That is a fun word. I want to say it over and over. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great word! I think you'd be perfect for the weekly blog hop, Save-a-Word Saturday. Check it out on my blog, which today worked well for Save-a-Word and the A-Z Challenge. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Nancy! I'll check it out. :D

      Delete
  3. Excellent word! Very useful as well and it makes me smile just to say it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saying it in a lovely English accent... (in my mind it is lovely) ;)

      Delete
  4. Where did you ever find such a fun word. LOL - I will try and sneak it into conversation today and see how it goes.

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    AtoZ #42

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have piles of goodies! Just wait and see through Z!

      Delete
  5. What a strange word! I'm glad to know it. It will come in handy next time I have someone or something "hanging by a thread."

    Happy A to Z!

    lillian888.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy A to Z to you! This is actually one we can really use, and win friends and influence people in the process. :)

      Delete
  6. Love the photo of the frog hanging on by a thread. This word is delicious rolling around on the tongue--sounds like a magic word from Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the example you gave of this word's use: I think I feel that way on a regular basis!

    Ruby recently posted http://rubywilbur.com/the-frog-prince/ for #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to know, I can shout it from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how a new word can encapsulate a phrase like hanging by a thread in such a satisfying way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool word.^^ I'll try using it every now and then!^^ Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the frog image! Perfect illustration! :)
    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the posts! have read back from H but this one is my favourite. As a child I was read a book called "My naughty little Sister", and in one of them the child's tooth was nearly out a was "hanging by a threadle" Now I know what it should have been called!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. :)